Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Brother Can You Spare A Dime? My Search For A New Coin Purse

I know this is going to sound completely crazy but bear with me: my favorite coin purse just died. It was a little yellow vinyl number that I picked up at H&M for, like, under $3. I’ve had it forever – come to think of it, it’s the only item from H&M that I’ve loved and kept for so long – the bulk of their stuff just doesn’t work for me.

Anyhoo, it’s tattered and torn so I’ve resigned myself to looking for a new holder to carry all of my life's detritus. The funny thing is when it comes to purses – like most fashion obsessed dames – I have a weakness for La Labels: Marc, Chloe, Prada – it’s all good. But while many view their wallets as yet one more opportunity to get all logo-d out or status-y, I go in the opposite direction: give me quirky, cute, or weird – I love the juxtaposition of a designer bag with an unexpected little surprise tucked inside. Besides, I don’t really care so much to impress my local barista with LVs, I’d rather pocket the green.

Here are some fun options I hunted down. Anyone with me?

Photobucket

So far, this one’s the frontrunner – it’s so me. From the always fabulous Plasticland.


Photobucket

Words to live by. Snag it here.



Photobucket


I love the fun origami design and bright colors of this one – aren’t those polka dots the bee’s knees?!


Photobucket


I'm a sucker for anything with birds...this one's organic.




Photobucket

The cheery yellow, the smiling 3D bacon buddies…tell me you wouldn’t laugh every time you reached for this?

18 comments:

Siljesfashion said...

Those are so cute!

WendyB said...

I didn't realize those were bacon strips at first glance. How funny!

Anonymous said...

bring home the bacon!

Unknown said...

oooh... I love the first one!

Sophie said...

AWW
i love them all, but the origami one is the nicest i think. Its proper quirky and cute.
That or the bacon one, just for the pure HAHAness of it! :)

Unknown said...

I've gotta say that the bacon one is my fave for sure! =D So cute! =D

Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

oh, i've been looking for the same thing lately! a few i love:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13384102 (all by this designer are lovely)

and, of course, there's bonspiel creations on etsy too!

i'm currently trying to justify one of anya hindmarch's "loose pockets" - they're fun and cheeky, but i'm having a tough time with $150 for a coin purse. still... http://www.shopbop.com/loose-pockets-martini-money-pouch/vp/v=1/845524441825919.htm?folderID=2534374302053188&fm=browse-boutique-viewall-shopbysize

Tricia said...

adorable! another good spot for stuff like this is the japanese bookstore on 6th & 41st - Kinokuniya - the first one reminds me of their stuff!

Always In Style said...

Shopping: Nice picks - I like the hindmarch but like you said, it's a bit too pricey.

FH: OMG!! I LOVE that place, I could spend hours in there...although...I should add for the record that I ended up purchasing that first one after I posted this!

Skye said...

Those are really cute, I agree that coin purses should be fun I have a little bright purple eelskin one myself).

Jessica said...

o_O i love the origami one and the ones that look like they are made from linen ! Gorgeouus

Elizabeth said...

I'm with you on all those. They've all got great features to recommend them, and you can take all the money you saved not buying LV and go to Starbuck's!

Angela said...

i like the anya hindmrach coin purse. i generally don't use a coin purse b/c i always manage to forget it at home for some reason.

Susan B said...

I like the "shoe fits" one.

Hayden-Harnett makes some nice coin purses too, and they always seem to have some on sale...

Anonymous said...

I adore this idea! I need a new wallet myself and on autopilot I was thinking Chanel or Louis Vuitton...but you are so right :)

How much cuter and more personal would a quirky coin purse be?!
You've inspired me to start looking :)

Sharon S said...

all lovely, my fave is the shoe one!!

Belowen said...

The hummingbird is definately my favourite! It's so pretty! <33

Style Spot said...

I like my wallets to be special and original too! the first two are my favourites!

xxx